Easy Math for my Amusement

I'm on a constant quest to improve my healing as I'm sure most players are in whatever they do. Tanking, healing, dpsing, even PvP. It's been pretty slow at work so I decided to try my hand at this math crap some healers talk about. I calculated each one of my spell's average healing per second and healing per mana and pretty much backed up what I thought about my healing. I used the logs that our guild uses from our last raid. Gonna post it here for anybody to review.

Starting with Prayer of Mending
Average ProM heal-5296-Jumps up to 5 times
Mana cost w/Mental Agility-521
It is difficult to determine what ProM's healing per second is due to the fact that you don't know when it is going to do each jump. I did calculate what its healing per mana is however.
Healing per mana-46
46 healing per mana is highest out of all the spells I use. This is why I have this spell constantly jumping on high AoE raid damage fights.

Penance
Average Penance heal-4143-Typically 3 times
Mana cost-618
Healing per second-6215
Healing per mana-20
Fairly high healing per second and fairly high healing per mana make this spell my best single target spell.

Power Word: Shield + Glyph
Average PW:S Absorb + Glyph heal-8235
Mana cost w/Mental Agility & Soul Warding-666
Healing per second-8235 Instant absorbs and healing
Healing per mana-12
Surprisingly its healing per mana was not as high as I expected it to be. I guess this is why shield spammers stack lots of intellect. This spell has very high healing/absorbs and this is why shield spamming is viable. I use shields quite a bit even when I'm tank healing.

Flash Heal
Average Flash Heal-5469
Mana cost w/Improved Flash Heal-591
Healing per second-4558
Healing per mana-9
Flash heal's healing per mana is fairly low compared to the other spells. Its healing per second isn't bad and as it is a very quick cast time, it is a decent spell to use.

Greater Heal
Average Greater Heal-12371
Mana cost-1236
Healing per second-5176
Macro'd to haste trinket healing per second-6217
Healing per mana-10
Contrary to popular belief, Greater Heal has higher healing per second and healing per mana than Flash Heal. I do tend to use this spell more than the average priest but typically only with the haste trinket, so that my target doesn't die while I'm casting it.

Binding Heal
Average Binding Heal-4470-2 heals
Mana cost-1043
Healing per second-7450
Healing per mana-9
This spell is basically a double flash heal. Its high healing per second makes it very useful but it is still very situational. I have to be taking damage for this spell to be used to its max potential.

Prayer of Healing + Glyph
Average Prayer of Healing Heal + Glyph HoT-5155-5 heals
Mana cost-1854
Healing per second-10,785
Healing per mana-14
Macro'd to Power Infusion
Mana cost-1483
Healing per second-14399
Healing per mana-17
According to the math, this spell is very valid for AoE healing. I had to do this math at least 3 times to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. Even with its decent healing per mana, this spell still costs enough mana to make a priest pause before they spam it. The other issue with this spell is the overhealing. It should not be used unless that entire group is low.

Renew
Average Renew tick-2092-5 ticks over 15 sec
Mana cost w/Mental Agility-591
Healing per second-697
Healing per mana-18
The healing per mana isn't bad but the healing per second is. I only use this spell on the start of pulls or in between phases like in Northrend Beasts. Otherwise, it's a waste of a global cooldown.

And just for my curiosity-Divine Aegis
Average 2186 instant absorbs for every crit

My math is probably wrong somewhere since I did this in between doing timesheets/physician visits/orders here at work. Feel free to correct me.

As an after thought, to those who think I'm a strong advocate of "Discipline/Shadow is fine!!", I'm not. I think these two specs could use a little love to get them on par with the rest of healers/dps. However, just because the two specs are a little behind doesn't mean they suck. And honestly, the game is about having fun. If you're not having fun because you're not the best, play an overpowered class. Don't just sit on the forums and bitch to everybody else. No one wants to hear it. With that said, if you've got some good ideas on how to fix these specs, feel free to share. The "QQ my class sucks" helps no one. The constructive "this is how I think we should fix it" helps people get to thinking and could possibly get Blizzard's attention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have great ideas on how to fix these specs, and make them more playable. The spec was intended to be a high HPS single target healer, on par with Paladin, or at least that is what we were told. Lol.

Anyway, this is what I would like to see:

Grace as a buff you put on somebody (like Beacon). When you crit somebody else, Inspriation does proc on Graced Target.

Divine Aegis to be a shielding that goes on the graced person. Whatever you heal, X% would be put on the graced target as Divine Aegis (cause the current system is retarded).

Enlightenment - Spirit --> Haste conversion, not what it currently is.

Renew - Heal for a strong amount on a Graced Target. Refreshable via PoM on Renewed target (through talent of course XD).

Power Word: Barrier - A 2 second cast that auto bubbles the 5 lowest current HP targets. CD required of course. CD affected by Aspiration.

Soul Warding - Removed from the game. :)

Improved Flash Heal - Becoming Improved Healing more or less with the effect that Imp Flash Heal currently has (and they can put something beneficial there for Holy Priests).

With the right amount of Haste numbers, Greater Heal will be very viable. It will also focus a bit more on Priests getting heals out there to keep Divine Aegis on the tank, or in a tank healing situation, you can bomb heal one tank and supplement with DA (in 25 man raids, naturally, it wouldn't kill a Holy Pally usage).

Obviously, Power Word: Barrier would be implemented, and Renew would be good, and again, much more emphasis on the healing, while still maintaining an absorby style. Of course, the numbers aren't perfect, nor are the concepts, but I think the idea is solid behind it.

Oh, as for who this is...lol, guess. :).

Nymarie said...

I really have no idea who you are. You could be one of any of the priests I talk to everyday. But those are some great ideas. I like my Greater heal and that would make it way more viable. And they've been teasing us with Power Word: Barrier for a while. Just put it in the game already!!

Nymarie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment