Invisible fire-1 Nym-0

I'm resisting the urge to kill my guildies today. We got to Phase 3 on almost every single attempt of 25 heroic NrB. Our problems were either we lost too many people on Phase 2 because people weren't spread out, or weren't letting the tanks get aggro, or were too close to the worm. One of the dps actually died to standing in poison! That's pug stuff! If we made it to Phase 3 with everybody alive and both worms dead, somebody had to get hit by Icehowl's charge. Anyway, we got super close but...no cigar.

Guess who was the first person to die to fire. Me. Yeah, uh huh, Nym died to fire. You know how often that happens? Never. Nym is the one that the raiders are saying "just freaking die Nym so we can zone in". After that wipe, which we did get to the end of phase 2, my guild leader says "Nym...no one died on Phase 1 except you. What happened?" So I read my combat log to him. Here's a brief overview of what it said:
Nym takes initial damage from fire bomb (2k ish)
Nym gains Nym's Power Word: Shield
Renewed Hope spam!
Penance at tank
Some other spell at tank
Nym takes 7k! Damage from the 4 stack fire bomb dot
Nym takes 7k! Damage from the 4 stack fire bomb dot
Nym takes 7k! Damage from the 4 stack fire bomb dot
Nym has died.
Abuh??
The best part was watching the warlock who usually stands next to me skirting around the fire to look at my body. He then announced in vent, "Invisible fire-1, Nym-0". There was no fire near my body. Probably about 10 ft away was the fire that had hit me initially, but there was no other fire. The holy priest and I then decided that Levitate would be the way to go. While our specific tank wasn't tanking, we hit every dps and healer in range with Levitate. He stood on the right side of the boss and I stood on the left. This made Phase 1 smooth as glass. Not only did NOBODY die to fire after that, but ranged dps sky rocketed because they didn't have to continuously move of fire. I would suggest doing this for hard mode NrB. For one, it reduces the amount of raid healing you have to do so you can focus on tanks. It raises your ranged dps. And it altogether avoids the invisible fire bug.
Anyway, if we don't get this boss down on Thursday, I'm going to be very surprised and very annoyed. So much progress last night!

On a happier note, we did regular ToC25 first and I finally won a second trophy.
Tier9.25 Pants FTW!
Zabra's Leggings of Triumph
Gemmed with:
+23 Spell power
+20 Intellect

5 comments:

Perfectalpha said...

You best get those down, or you'll get a beating! I had a funny moment like that on Algalon 25 man. I got sucked into the Black Hole 3x in a row (it was funny, cause I went 50 minutes not messing it up), and we did kill it that attempt. Of course, I die and they're all like, "Way to go Shebonez, you get sucked in 3x in a row."

This is the way I see it, mistakes happen. I think personal accountability is huge in raiding. We do the levitate thing on 10 man, too much of a pain in the ass on 25 man. People need to know exactly what they need to be doing in these raids. Case in example, our hunter moved out of the fire yesterday on 10 man Heroic before he even took a tick of damage. Now that is skillz.

Either way, congrats on the pants. Here is hoping we get Anub'Arak down this week too. That is where we've been sitting at on 25 man Heroic. We consistently hit P3, so I get the feeling he'll die this week. I am looking for a new Cloak off NrB Heroic 25 man, so :).

I logged out in my Shadow spec, my gearz are so funny for Shadow, but I do great DPS relative to others. I still have a lot of low level item gear as far as trinkets go. Admittedly, I have an OCD with socket bonus' so I appologize if you don't agree with ALL the choices.

Also, what made you choose the 20 int to pants? I am just gemming 12 spell/10 int in yellow slots. That is just me though.

Nymarie said...

The pure spell power and pure int gems were what I had on the original pants. I had never gemmed intellect until we started doing 25 man hard modes. I went completely oom the first time we got to phase 3 on NrB, even with the BE racial. It worried me so I changed some of my spell power gems to int gems.

Now that I've upgraded several pieces of gear, I've noticed a huge increase in mana. I hit over 30k raid buffed. After getting those pants, it was like instantly too much mana. I guess I didn't notice how much intellect they had on them. I'll probably change one of my int gems to spell power/int or maybe just pure spell power.

Nymarie said...

In my opinion, gem choices are exactly that. Choices. Theorycrafters may say the math proves this or the math proves that but in the end, as long as you're not gemming strength or something stupid like that, how are you wrong? I get a lot of crap for my gem choices, particularly the crit gems. But in my raid situation where I function as a partial tank healer and partial raid support healer, I see crit being a huge benefit.

On the other hand, I know shadow fairly well but not nearly as well as discipline. I would have to call my significant other to find out whether or not your gemming is the "norm" for spriests. I just haven't raided enough as shadow to know all that much about it. Raunyc has though and so I gear/spec/gem based on his advice.

By the way, Raunyc is the name I have always called him. His death knight was his main for a while but he went back to his spriest Cryssa.

Perfectalpha said...

I wasn't questioning the gem choice, you just seemed to put a large amount of emphasis on spell power, and then you get pants and put Int on. I wasn't questioning the Gem choice at all actually. Just wondering if you noticed something I didn't :).

I still think that Spirit and Haste are quite nice for Discipline, though some people gem/gear or at least try to get as much Mp5 as possible. I have too much mana all the time, and I really really do spam hard. Also, the speed on the heals are nice. I tried a spec again yesterday with Divine Fury, but I've come to the very safe conclusion Divine Fury sucks in comparison to Spell Warding, especially on Hard Modes. Why do I say this? Greater Heal ended up being a good amount of overheal (so a situation where I could use something better than Flash, but not as powerful as GHeal), meanwhile, I died on Twin Valks Heroic. Simply sad.

Nymarie said...

I love haste as discipline. It's simply amazing for hard modes. I tend to stick to very simplified gem choices though.

As for Soul Warding, like I said, I rarely die. If I had trouble staying alive, maybe I'd get it. But Binding Heal is just too amazing. By the way, Binding Heal on Twins (heroic or not) is just awesome. Best fight for it imo.

Post a Comment