A Farewell to the WoW Forums

This time I'm not coming back.  My reasons?  I will list them plain and simple.

1.  I do not wish to be called by my legal name.  Thanks Blizz, but I don't even go by my legal name IRL.  College and jobs do not make me use it, why should a video game?  My Facebook is not under my legal name, but the name I am called by.  I find it ridiculous that you will not allow me to be called by the name those call me IRL.

2.  I'm sure I could be found.  My name is quite common.  However, if you know my e-personality, including my character, real name, and other things (like my accent), I could be found.  A true stalker could find all my information.  Even though this doesn't completely terrify me, it does make me nervous.

3.  A dear friend of mine has a very uncommon last name.  Excluding her family, I've never heard her last name anywhere else.  It would be simple to find her and that makes her very uncomfortable.  I continue to fight Real ID for her sake as well as mine.

4.  This is a ROLEPLAYING game.  Yeah, I'm lame.  I like being called Nym.  All of my characters are named Nym.  It's a name I use in every single game I play.  A variation of Nymarie is what I want to be called.  Not my real name.

5.  I highly doubt the trolls will leave.  As far as I can tell, only those who are regular contributors and dear to our forums are leaving.  So what will that leave us with?  You think the trolls care if we know their real name?  No.  It's their mains they want to protect.  Not their real name.  CAD summed it up quite perfectly.

6.  Blizzard employees will be exempt from this.  Excuse me?  So it's okay if a player is found and stalked, but not an employee.  Right, makes sense.  Blizzard obviously knows this is not a good idea.  Why on earth are they implementing it?

7.  I found where someone on Facebook said that they were banned for posting links that proved that this is illegal.  Their posts were also completely deleted.  Does this make me curious?  Very much so.
This is a copy of the post:
  • REALID IS ILLEGAL IN THE USA!!

    The Cyber Security Enhancement Bill of 2002 makes this illegal!!

    http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/homeland_CSEA.htm <-- guidelines you need to see, Blizzard. Guidelines the whole ruddy world needs to see!
    ...
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001030----000-.html <---- More proof that this is illegal in the USA!!

    We need to petition the Supreme Court to shut this down. Nearly 30,000 posts have been made about this. People are pissed, there is no precedent for this kind of behaviour... let's make one. Let's make it clear to the world that a company like Blizzard does NOT have the right to give out our names. A friend of mine, Khull of The Darksun Tribe, who knows about law searched these laws up and woke me up to tell me about it. He has a common first and last name, but knows enough about cyber security, being /b/tard, to know that even he isn't safe if Blizzard makes this change.

    Copy and paste on the US forums!!

 

If you honestly think you don't care if your name is there for all to see, good for you.  But don't be a dick and say that everyone should be okay with it.  You can't change people's opinions and some people just aren't comfortable putting their names out there.  There are other ways to combat forum trolls!!!!  I agree perfectly with the author of CAD:

  • If they've got the Battle.net account system in place, why not allow us to choose a single nickname associated with the Battle.net account. Any time you want to post on a Blizzard forum, this is the name that is going to show up. This is the name that you are known by in the Blizzard community, no matter which game, until you decide you've fucked up enough that you need to buy a new account to get a clean slate. And if you're really nasty, Blizzard removes forum permissions for that Bnet account.

I also refuse to use Real ID until a change is made.  I simply don't want to be known as my legal name.  I would like to either change the name on my account or use a nickname like mentioned above. 

Anyway, that's my stand on it.  If you don't agree, that's fine, but please think of other people before you decide your stance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment