Competition does a DPS good.

The guild brought in a new shadow priest.  I was nervous at first because it was when my computer was out of commission so I thought I was being replaced.  But the officers have said over and over that they don't want me going anywhere and that we just needed more ranged.  They're also encouraging me to make friends.  I'm trying, okay!

What's the first thing I do?  I critique him.  Yeah, it's a bad habit.  Whatever.  He's almost perfect.  If you took the sticky on the priest forums and turned it into a priest, this is what it would look like.  He's got Woaden's spec and gemming.  The only difference is that his off set piece is Gunship Captain's Mittens instead of the pants.  I guess he preferred the hit from them.  I prefer my hit bracers and neck.  So far, he looks good.

After I pick up Dying Light and do my typical "I just won an awesome piece of loot!" dance in my chair, I compare our gear.  We both have 4 set sanc, except his off set piece if Gunship Captain's Mittens and mine is heroic Sanguine Silk Robes (because I used to go holy a lot for this guild).  We both have heroic Dying Light.  We have several pieces of alike gear.  We both have regular Phylactery of the Nameless Lich, but I have regular Muradin's Spyglass where he has heroic DFO.  In my math deprived mind, I think "our dps should be about the same".

A little background info.  I'm extremely competitive.  I would be in a top guild if I could handle the social retards that tend to lead those guilds.  Some of my friends are in some FANTASTIC top guilds, but I can't seem to find one that needs a priest.  So I'm in this casual HM guild.  I love it here.  They're fair, relaxed and mature, and I've made some amazing friends.  They know I'm a crazy, but they like me for it.  Anyway, moving on with the little story.

My goal is to beat him on every fight.  Another shadow priest in the raid is really good for my dps.  I beat him on a few fights, but he beats me most of the time.  I check and compare our rotation, dot uptime, etc.  Everything seems to be the same.  Finally, I'm watching party chat, and I see something that gives me an idea.  Everyone in party is bragging about how high they can get with their spell power when everything procs at once.  I get about 5k, one of the mages 4.5k (mages tend to have lower spell power than priests, but more benefit I guess), and the new shadow priest above 6k.  6k????  WHAT?  I armory him and compare our spell power.  It's about the same unbuffed.  I compare our haste.  I'm sitting at 850 ish unbuffed.  He's at 1100.

I confide in my mage friend, and he laughs at me.
"Heroic DFO is a bigger boost than you think."

It's amazing how much a little haste and one trinket can do.  Now I want that trinket so bad I can taste it.

1 comments:

Sinespe said...

I've yet to meet a shadow priest who can out-DPS me on my server; but, then, none of them have Heroic DFO. It'll be so awesome when Cataclysm comes out and they're not better geared than me by virtue of being 25-manners. :D

Post a Comment