Oculus QQ

Before I start this post, I want to make it clear that I don't mind Oculus as an instance. It is just as easy as the others. When heroics were random, I was not one of the ones to skip a day if Oculus was the daily. However, now this is not the case.

For the past two weeks, I have started attempting to stock up on Frost emblems and get the gear I need from them.  Here's the problem.  Not a day goes by that I don't visit Oculus.  I did Oculus more times than I can count and got sick of the damn place.  So one Saturday, I said to myself, I don't care how long I have to wait, I'm not doing that instance again.  Because, you see, getting emblems shouldn't be just grinding to me.  I do heroics as shadow and I want to have fun while I get emblems for gear.  Doing the same bloody instance every day is NOT fun.  So this Saturday, not the past one but the week before, I queued up for my daily heroic.  What did I get?  Oculus.  I apologized to the group and left.  Fifteen minutes later I queued up again.  I got Oculus five times before finally giving up and logging off of WoW, very frustrated.  The nights since then I have a system...

I queue for my daily heroic.  I get Oculus.  I apologize to the group and leave.  I requeue fifteen minutes later.  If I get another instance, I have a good time.  If I get Oculus, I quit trying.  Do you want to know how many emblems I've gotten in the past week?  Four.  Excluding the ones I've gotten from raids.

I've been talking to my friends about it and I'm sure they thought I was exaggerating.  Well, last night while they were at my home, I got Oculus...twice.  "Damn...you were right."

I'm not bitching about Oculus.  If it was Nexus, UK, VH, whatever, it wouldn't be any different.  So can someone shed some light on this?  How is this random heroic tool not so random?

FYI, from now on, I'll be letting you guys know which nights I get Oculus and which nights I actually run the heroic.  Just to show you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for not saying "occulus"

Nymarie said...

I like to sound literate in my blogs. Lol :D

Sinespe said...

The only thing I can put forward as a hypothesis for Oculus non-randomness is that your battlegroup might have a lot of people farming Emblems of Triumph.

The reason for my idea is the following: We know that Blizzard's instance-selection process is pseudo-random, in that you are more likely to see an instance you have not yet run compared to an instance you have run. Now, your personal lock list has to be calibrated against that of four other people. Logically, you are five times less likely to get Forge of Souls if all five of you were saved to it, compared to if just one of you were saved to it.

So, if loads of people are farming EoT and getting saved to a whole bunch of instances, but all of them deliberately *not* getting saved to Oculus, it increases the overall chance that zero people in a group of five will be saved to it.

I can't guarantee this will work, but how's this for an idea: If you get Oculus, run through to the first boss and kill it. Then leave. You'll be locked to the instance, thus making it more likely that you will exempt yourself from the pseudo-random choice, but you won't need to deal with the horrible, boring, needless flying bit that everyone hates.

Hope you had a good Christmas and have a good New Year.

Nymarie said...

That kinda makes sense...but there's something that confuses me. My friend, on the same server, was farming EoTs and got the same instance twice. She finished it the first time and she was obviously locked to it, but the random tool put her in it again. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Sinespe said...

Being locked to something only makes it less likely that you'll get it; doesn't make it impossible. So my idea isn't guaranteed not to get you Oculus, but it's more likely that you'll get a non-Oculus within 2-3 attempts, rather than queueing for hours on end just to get the daily done.

Nymarie said...

Oh okay, I did not know that. I tried it...it didn't work.

Sinespe said...

If it's happening quite literally *all the time*, it's probably worth submitting a ticket. Maybe it's bugged on some battlegroups.

Post a Comment